Hi, I’m Tom, a software engineer and entrepreneur living in Vermont.
I’m the Director of Engineering of the Reporting & Filing Group at
TaxJar, as well as owning and operating a
hosted store platform named Limited Run.
Aside from writing software, I enjoy spending time with partner, Marriele,
our two dogs, Rayner & Potato, and cooking vegan.
My Current Work
Director of Engineering @ TaxJar - January 2019 → Present
- As the Director of Engineering of the Reporting & Filing Group at TaxJar, I
manage a number of teams that support manual filing and AutoFile customers,
as well as the internal AutoFile Team.
Engineering Lead @ TaxJar - January 2018 → December 2018
- I started as the Engineering Lead of the AutoFile Engineering Team. In this
role, I managed a team that focused on supporting AutoFile customers and
internal AutoFile Team.
- I later transitioned to leading an expanded Reporting & Filing Team, that grew
to also support manual filing customers.
Software Engineer @ TaxJar - February 2017 → December 2017
- As a Software Engineer at TaxJar, I worked on projects throughout the
application. Later, I transitioned to specific projects that supported
AutoFile customers and the internal AutoFile Team.
Co-Founder, Software Engineer @ Limited Run, Inc. - June 2009 → Present
- I am the sole developer of Limited Run and am responsible
for all technical decisions, development, and operations of our services.
- Limited Run -
Limited Run is a hosted store platform for artists, labels, designers or anyone
selling unique products directly to fans. In addition to the self-service version,
we also customize, host, and manage white-labeled versions of our platform.
- Swell -
A traffic analysis and alerting service that tells you instantly when something
exciting happens on your site. You can receive alerts for traffic spikes by
email, text, or phone and know exactly where that traffic originated from.
- Card Included -
A self-serve download card service that allows bands and labels to easily design
and print download cards to use at shows, performances, in vinyl, or just to
carry around with them.
Co-Founder @ RumbleX - January 2016 → Present
- After organizing the Rails Rumble (now, Ruby Rampage) for four years, I co-founded RumbleX,
where we continue to build and run the biggest online hackathons in the world, including
future iterations of the Ruby Rampage, Node Knockout, Angular Attack, and more.
My Past Work
Organizer @ Rails Rumble - July 2012 → December 2015
- I rebooted and retooled the Rails Rumble, a 48 hour, distributed hackathon
for Ruby developers, reaching thousands of developers every year.
- The Rails Rumble has been rolled up into our new company, RumbleX, and
will continue on in future iterations as the Ruby Rampage.
Software Engineer @ American Physical Society - Jan 2013 → July 2013
- After their migration from more than a hundred separate SVN repositories, into a single Git
repository, I built a custom deployment pipeline, which included an orchestrating &
status web service, as well as an integrated CLI. With this system, developers could easily
deploy updates to grouped micro-services (for example, a front end web application, as well
as its related backend API service) to the specific sets of discovered servers, running those
services, by issuing a single command to the CLI.
- Discovered, organized, and documented micro-services spread out across a number of legacy
servers, and developed a new Chef-based architecture so they could move away from their own
data centers and into AWS in multiple regions, with a repeatable environment.
- Developed a new staff-facing content management application (front & backend) for writing,
updating, and featuring content on individual APS Journal sites.
- Developed a new user-facing authentication, profile, and settings service (front & backend)
for use on APS Journal sites.
Project Manager, Software Engineer @ Firefly, Jan 2010 → Dec 2010
- Firefly was a way to see where your friends on Twitter were. You could find your
friends in the real-world, share your location and photos, and get notified when
friends checked-in nearby.
- My responsibilities included: product development, configuration & deployment
to AWS, the API, the web application, the mobile web application and managing
development of the iPhone application.
Software Engineer @ Gawkk, Sept 2007 → Dec 2009 (Sold)
- Gawkk automatically aggregated and categorized video from thousands of
websites. Channels of videos could be subscribed to and videos liked by and
commented on by your friends would show up in your news feed. This site was
sold in early 2010.
- I was contracted to build Gawkk and was the sole developer responsible for
all technical decisions.
Software Engineer @ Lourdes Industries, June 2001 → Sept 2007
- Designed and implemented a centralized authentication & role-based access
control system. This J2EE web application provides management for users and
permissions as well as an API for all other internal applications to use.
- Developed a thin client J2EE replacement for a legacy Enterprise
Resource Planning system. By the time I left, we had successfully moved
customer management, quoting, sales orders, engineering and accounts
receivable processes onto our J2EE system. When complete, this system will
also handle purchasing, production, inventory and accounts payable.
- Developed a J2EE web application in order to manage the relationship between
parts and fixtures (shop tools) as well as to provide metrics on supply usage
to more efficiently stock the tool room.
- Developed a J2EE web application that enables users to tag material
certification documents scanned into a networked scanner as well as search
previously scanned documents.
Freelance & Pro Bono Application Development & Design, 2000 → Present
- Developed a job management system for use by a manufacturing company in
offices spread across the country. This Ruby on Rails application helps to
move a job internally through the company, from sales, to customer service,
to the art department, to purchasing and eventually to billing. Additionally,
this system dynamically generates PDFs and emails for jobs to be used for
customer billing as well as ordering from vendors, all while tracking vendor
costs and customer facing pricing.
- Developed a document management site for Staples Contract Digital Copy
Services. This Ruby on Rails application allows clients to upload documents
in bulk with a custom, drag and drop Java applet. This system is currently
live and supporting more than 4000 clients that upload over 20GB of data a
month to 10 locations and has processed over 150,000 documents.
- Developed a specialized web based scheduling application for use in a hospital
with multiple clinics, surgical rooms and resource requirements. This Ruby on
appointments in a calendar view.
- Developed a J2EE product management system for an electronics reseller. This
system allowed for the import of multiple vendor databases and automatically
managed the best vendor for a product based on availability and price as well
as the automated export to various external listing services and the client’s
- Developed a Ruby on Rails application for a local non-profit organization
that manages job listings and application submissions for a network of homes
that give aid to the developmentally disabled.
- Developed a Ruby on Rails application for a local arts council that manages
exhibits, classes, events, artist pages and news.
- Developed a Ruby on Rails application for a local police golf club that
manages members, matches, scores and handicaps.
- Developed a Ruby on Rails project for Solid MFG. It offers
a unique quote builder that allows you to quickly build a quote, get an estimate
and download templates.
- Developed a Ruby on Rails project for FreeMusicFirst.
It was built as a way to distribute music freely using services like Twitter and
- Developed a community marketplace for Vinyl Collective.
It was built, using Ruby on Rails, to give community members an easy way to list
and sell their records.
My Other Work
- active_configuration -
An engine that exposes a generic settings store to ActiveRecord models.
- jekyll_alias_generator -
A Jekyll plugin for generating redirect pages for posts.
- jekyll_flickr_set_tag -
A Jekyll plugin for generating image galleries from a Flickr set.
- cacheable_hash -
A wrapper for Hashes to prevent frozen values when storing in memcached as well
as automatically keeping the cached copy up to date.
- do*connect -
This Ruby on Rails project was developed in 48 hours during Rails Rumble 2010
and provides a simple way to build and grow a third party developer community
around a service. Source available at github.com/tsmango/doconnect.
- PGnJ -
This Java application is a database development environment. Unlike most clients
that came before it, PGnJ has a unique, single window interface.
- Mobile LIRR -
This Ruby on Rails project is a mobile optimized web application that sits
atop the Long Island Railroad website. The application provides a set of
features to help automate and ease the use of the LIRR scheduling system while
on the go.
- Mobile Trends -
This Ruby on Rails project is a mobile optimized web application that shows the
current trends on Twitter and defines them with the API provided by
- Seymore -
This open source project is a content management system built with Ruby on
Rails. Rather than having a separate administration section for managing
content, content management functions are available throughout the site so
users are able to contextually and comfortably manage their content.
- Argus -
This open source J2EE project is focused on making issue tracking easy
enough for end users, while still being flexible enough to satisfy the needs
Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY
- Computer Science (-3 unrelated credits)